Support for disabled students and applicants at RCS

We welcome applications from people with disabilities. There aremany disabled students who have successfully completed courses at theRoyal Conservatoire ofScotland and many who are studying here now, including students with dyslexia, dyspraxia, mental health issues such as depression, epilepsy, IBS, asthma, diabetesand ME.

Come and visit us

If you are wondering whether or not to apply to the RoyalConservatoire, why not come for a visit? We encourage all applicants to come and lookround and talk to staff and students to see if you feel it is the right place for you. Youmay also want to check that we have sufficient facilities in place for you to study here, or to discussyour needs so that we can offer you maximum support.

Who do I contact for more information?

Contact Dr Jane Balmforth, the Royal Conservatoire’s Counsellor and Disability Adviser, on +44 (0) 141 2708 282 or arrange a visit. You can download ourInformation for Disabled Students and Applicants, which describes our provision and support for disabled students.

How do I request support for my audition or interview?

Contact Dr Jane Balmforth, the Royal Conservatoire’s Counsellor and Disability Adviser, on +44 (0) 141 2708 282 or e-mail to discuss any adjustments that you would like for your audition or interview.

For students with dyslexia, there is an excellent publication: Understanding dyslexia: An introduction for students in higher education by Jill Hammond and Fabian Hercules. Contact Jane Balmforth, if you would like a copy.

What happens when I start my studies at the Royal Conservatoire?

When you start at the Royal Conservatoire, ourCounsellor and Disability Adviser will contact you in the first term and arrange a meetingwith you to discuss how we can bestsupport you. A Learning Agreement will then bedrawn up and signed. If you are dyslexic, youwill need an up-to-date assessment don’t worry if you don’t have one as we can arrange for anassessment here.

I think I’m dyslexic but I’m not sure.

If you have always wondered if you might be dyslexic, but have neverbeen assessed, we can arrange for you to have an assessment.Alternatively, you may have had a preliminary assessment at school, but do not have a fullpsychological assessment (a full assessment is necessary for applying for DSA see the nextsection below.)

What other support is available?

Janecan assist with completing applications to yourfunding body (Student Award Agency for Scotland, Student Finance England, Wales or NI) for the Disabled Students’ Allowance(DSA). The DSA consists of equipment (e.g. a laptop, mind mapping software) and personal support(e.g. a note-taker, scribe, reader).

To apply for DSA you will need a full psychological assessment (fordyslexia) or a letter from your doctor or consultant, in the case of medical conditions. Moreinformation is available from the website of your funding body: SAAS, Student Finance England,Wales or Northern Ireland.

When you apply for DSA you will be referred for a needs assessment,where you will speak to an assessor in detail about your course and how your medical condition ordisability affects you. The assessor will then recommend equipment and personal support to beprovided by your funding body. Please ask Jane if you have any questions about applying forDSA.

The Royal Conservatoire also has an Effective Learning Service (ELS)to support students in all aspects of their studies. The ELS tutors are available to discuss essaywriting, revision for exams, research methods, structuring written assignments, among many aspectsof study support.

How accessible is the Royal Conservatoire?

The Royal Conservatoirehas level access on the ground floor and alift suitable for a wheelchair serves all floors. Many of the lecture theatres and auditoria have inductionloops and vibrating pager fire alarms are available. The software packages Texthelp Read &Write and Inspiration have been installed in the IT suite. For more details on facilities, download the booklet Information for Disabled Students and Applicants or ask Jane Balmforth fora copy of the booklet.