The Student Route

From 1 January 2021 if you are studying a course that is longer than six months in duration and you are not a UK/Irish national you will need to gain entry clearance to study in the UK.  You must obtain a visa under the Student route before you travel.

For information on the Student route read the RCS’s guide to Studying in the UK – 2020.2021 (Student Route)Further information about the Student route is also available on the Home Office website:  UK Government – Student Route

Nationals of a European Economic Area (EEA) country** or a Swiss national do not require a visa to enter the UK on or before 31 December 2020 but they will do so on or after 1 January 2021.

** The EEA comprises member countriesof the European Union plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.The list of countries is available here.

Check if you need a visa at UKVI website.


Further queries can be directed to the International and Student Experience team via