Short Term VisitorVisa

The following information applies to those students entering the UK before 31 December 2020.

If you are studying on a course at the Royal Conservatoirethat is less than six months long then you will need to apply for entry clearance or leave to enter (i.e. a visa) as a short-term student. Whether you apply in advance of leaving your home country (entry clearance) or at the UK port of entry (leave to enter) will depend on whether you are a visa or non-visa national. Please read the Short Term Student section on the UKCISA website

The short-term student route is particularly suited to international exchange students who are coming to study with us for one term, however, there are several restrictions under this route (employment and bringing dependents are just two examples). If you are coming to study a full-time course that lasts for six months or longer, or your course is less than six months in duration but you are required to do a work placement as part of your course, then you will need to request a CAS from the Conservatoire to enable you to apply for the a visa under the Student route.

The short-term student route is also relevant for those people on distance learning courses who only want to come to the UK for a limited period at any given time, and for those who need to re-sit an exam or re-take a module. Please refer to the Home Office guidance link to ensure you meet the criteria.

When applying as a short-term student, you must intend to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your study (if it is before the date your immigration permission ends). If you do not leave the UK within this time, it could affect any future immigration applications to the UK (such applications could be refused and a time-bar applied if the Home Office believes you exercised deception about your intention in your short-term student immigration application). If your study (as stated in the letter you presented to the Home Office as part of your short-term student immigration application) continues until the date that your immigration permission ends, you must leave the UK no later than the date your immigration permission ends.

If you are coming to the UK as a student for a period of 6 months or less you must present yourself to a Border Force Officer on arrival and make clear that the purpose of your stay is to study. Your passport will then be endorsed with the appropriate stamp to allow you to study in the UK. Please do not go through the electronic gates at passport control, even if you are directed to do so.

Short-term students are not allowed to apply to switch into any other immigration category while still in the UK. If you wish to continue studying in the UK after your entitlement to remain in the UK as a short-term student has ended, you will need to return home and apply for entry clearance under the Student route, or in another appropriate immigration category.

There are several differences between the short-term student and the Student route so it is important that you apply for the correct type of visa.

More information on the short-term student route is available at The Home Office and on the UKCISA website.

Have any questions?

Contact our International and Student Experience team at