Support for Disabled Students

We welcome applications from people with disabilities. There are many disabled students who have successfully completed courses at theRoyal Conservatoireand many who are studying here now, including students with dyslexia, visual and hearing impairments, epilepsy, asthma and ME.

Come and visit

If you are wondering whether or not to apply to the Royal Conservatoire, why not come for a preliminary visit? We encourage all applicants to come and look round and talk to staff and students in order to see if you feel it is the right place for you. You may also want to check that we have sufficient facilities in place for to study here, or discuss your needs so that we can offer you maximum support. Just contact Jane Balmforth on +44 (0) 141 2708 282 or arrange a visit, or request a copy of our booklet,Information for Students with Disabilities,which describes our provision and facilities for disabled students.

What happens if I declare a disability or medical condition?

If you declare a disability or medical condition on your application form, Jane Balmforth, ourCounsellor &Disability Adviser will get in touch with you to ask ifyou would like to discuss any arrangements to support you at your audition or interview.

For students with dyslexia there is an excellent publication:Understanding Dyslexia: an Introduction for Students in Higher Educationby Jill Hammond and Fabian Hercules. Contact Jane Balmforth, you would like a copy.

What happens when I start my studies at the Royal Conservatoire?

When you start your studies at the Royal Conservatoireour Counsellor &Disability Adviser will contact you in the first term and arrange a meeting with your Head of Department/Programme Leaderto discuss how we can best support you. A Learning Agreement stating the support you will receive will then bedrawn up and signed. If you are dyslexic, you will need an up-to-date assessment don’t worry if you don’t have one as we can arrange for an assessment here at the Conservatoire. If you have a medical condition you will need a letter from your GP.

I think I’m dyslexic but not sure

If you have always wondered if you might be dyslexic, but have never been assessed,we can arrange for you to have an assessment with an Educational Psychologist. Jane Balmforth,, ourCounsellor &Disability Adviser will be able to arrange this for you. Janecan also assist with completing applications to your funding body (e.g. SAAS, Student Finance England, Wales or NI) for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).

What about accessibility?

The Royal Conservatoire has level access on the ground floor and a lift suitable for a wheelchair serves all floors. The lecture theatres and auditoria have induction loops and vibrating pager fire alarms are available. The software packages Texthelp Read & Write and Inspiration have been installed in the Student IT Suite. For more details on facilities, ask Jane Balmforth for a copy of the bookletInformation for Students with Disabilities, or click on the link at the top of this page.

More information about studying at Royal Conservatoire of Scotlandis contained in theStudent Support Services Information booklet.